Valve never slows down releasing updates to Proton and their Steam Deck, even when we’re all trying to figure out if Asus is pulling an April Fools prank or actually making a product announcement. There aren’t massive changes in these updates, it’s always good to see bugs get fixed and games improve.
For the Steam Deck Beta Client update we see a couple of changes including a fix to autosaves getting lost and the in-game overlay causing some crashing introduced in the last beta. There’s not a ton else so I’ll list the full changelog down below:
Steam Deck Desktop
- Fixed an in-game overlay related crash introduced in the last beta releaseSteam Input
- Fixed a case where hitting the "apply configuration" button before a configuration preview was loaded could select the wrong configuration
- Fixed a case where an autosave could get lost while editing
- Fixed the DualSense configuration preview not showing the Mute button
- Fixed error when viewing a configuration in the "Search" tab of the config browser
The hits keep coming from Valve because just a day later they put out another Steam Deck Beta Client update. A lot of the fixes revolve around audio but there's a fix for 4k displays not displaying video at boot until the Deck is reconnected. The full changelog lists the following:
- Fixed a case where some 4K displays would show no output at bootup until the dock was reconnected
- Fixed a case where audio could be distorted when resuming the Steam Deck
- Fixed audio device management not working after the OS audio server restarts
- Fixed an intermittent crash when the OS audio server restartsSteam Deck Desktop
- Fixed issue where viewing app properties caused the Steam client to be unusable
Moving on to Proton Experimental, last Friday Valve put out an update addressing Epic Online Services failing in games. This includes the likes of Fall Guys and Returnal and while you may not be playing a lot of Returnal on Deck, I’m sure plenty of people will be happy to see Fall Guys in a better state. Again full changelog down below:
- Fix EOS services failing to update for Fall Guys, Returnal and other games. This may require Proton prefix to be re-created.
- Fix recent experimental regression that made THE KING OF FIGHTERS XV start to a black screen.
Finally we’ve got GloriousEggroll working to improve the poor state The Last of Us Part 1 released on PC. The Last of Us did receive some hotfixes that seemed to help performance a little bit, and hopefully the fixes introduced in GE-Proton7-54 hopefully will get the game even closer to a playable state on Deck (although I wouldn't hold my breath). Full changelog down below:
- update wine bleeding edge: brings is fall guys eac fix from upstream
- update vkd3d-proton: brings in some fixes for the last of us, uncharted, and a few more
- update dxvk
- protonfixes: Remove deprecated Saints Row 2 fix (thanks Bitwolfies)
- protonfixes: add fix for Carnage cross (thanks ranplayer)
- protonfixes: correct Outlaws fix script (thanks Sterophonick)
So have you tried The Last of Us on Deck yet? How about on PC in general? Are you going to jump into Fall Guys with these Proton Experimental fixes? Let us know in the comments down below!